Listen to 405 Radio

Author   Comment  
moz

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello.

OK....so....Birdman. Its gonna be movie of the year come december.

Discuss.
The 405

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
I've yet to see it. Is it really that good? 

Have you seen Foxcatcher?
moz

Reply with quote  #3 
Foxcatcher is out on Friday, so haven't seen it yet.

Birdman is SO good & ingenuitive. I mean, ive liked the work of Alejandro González Iñárritu anyways (21 Grams being SO heartbreakingly miserable. And Babel being a misunderstood work of art). This is much more 'linear' in storyline. The 'one take' thing works really well. Michael Keaton is a revelation, sending up his Batman character. Loads of little nods to the futility of trying to make an art movie in a world of blockbusters & instant entertainment gratification....

And now im sounding really wanky. Its just brilliant.
The 405

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Re: Foxcatcher - it'll be interesting to see what you think about that (if you end up seeing it...). 

Cool, I think I might go check that out this week.

Any other recommendations?
parri

405 Staff
Reply with quote  #5 
I've been waiting for Birdman to arrive for months... and still haven't had a chance to go see it. No spoilers, now.
moz

Reply with quote  #6 
As i live in the culturally absent Milton Keynes, we dont really get movie films that are TRUELY good playing here.....

So.......i cant think of anything else off of the top of my head.....
The 405

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by parri
I've been waiting for Birdman to arrive for months... and still haven't had a chance to go see it. No spoilers, now.

it features a bird
moz

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by parri

it features a bird

This bird MAY have human qualities.....
The 405

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
watched the film, REALLY enjoyed it!
arecibo_

Reply with quote  #10 
Playing BIG catch up on the films from last year. Saw Locke and Blue Ruin today and enjoyed both.
Still haven't seen Boyhood, somehow feels wrong to see it without my parents for some reason, though I suspect we'd all become crying wrecks by the end from what I've heard.
moz

Reply with quote  #11 
Boyhood was a delight.

So....saw Foxcatcher. Which was.......very good. BUT a little frustrating. It could have been around half an hour shorter. But....Channing Tatum is brilliant as the antisocial wrestler.

I also saw The Theory Of Everything. Which was ok, if a little televisual.
Jamie Drew

405 Staff
Reply with quote  #12 
Haven't got round to Birdman yet, no love for Nightcrawler here? I thought that was one of if not the best from last year.

The whole premise of Locke worked and was done so well, and Gone Girl was incredible to me, as long as it was I would have easily gone another hour.
moz

Reply with quote  #13 
Gone Girl was, for me, a little.....strange. I am a MASSIVE David Fincher fan. I think Gone Girl is probably his second worst movie. BUT....it was STILL a very good thing. Melodramatic to the point of preposterousness, but still tense & dramatic. I also dug Nightcrawler a lot. 

Best flick from last year (of the ones i saw) has to be Under Her Skin though. A story which stays with you long after the movie finishes. Scarlet is stunning as the alien. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.